Monday, January 18, 2010

Module 1: What is Educational Inquiry? - Cont.

Activity 2: Where do I stand?

Task: Read some Educational Research papers- think about your own perspective-

Although very interesting, the ‘post modern’ view on reality is all a little too ‘airy fairy’ for my liking. Nothing is really there? Because everything is based on what we perceive? If I think long and hard I can see how this may be the case. However, the realist in me much prefers the Modern view, yes we all have different perspectives, and yes they all may vary greatly, but what’s there is there!
In looking at the different paradigms of social science a couple really stood out to me. Having quite a competitive personality I found the Conflict Paradigm very interesting…’Dominate or be Dominated’ It is interesting to observe that even when a hierarchy isn’t forced onto a group of humans they will naturally form their relationships in this anyway. Watching a group of children the ‘top dog’ is identified very quickly with the others falling ‘in line’ you can often identify who has more or less ‘power’ in the group through observation.
Structural Functionalism is another paradigm I could connect with, society being made up of many parts and contributors. This appeals to my sense of family, and community. That when all parts function and contribute, society on the whole benefits greatly.
The third paradigm appealed to the antagonistic self, that being Ethnomethodology, the study of social structure on human behavior. Going against the ‘norm’ to gauge reaction. There are so many ‘unspoken rules’ in our society, and these rules often vary depending on the context and even social standing of those involved. In my own lifetime I’ve found myself in many situations where things are expected and not explained and then disapproving looks are given when these expectations are not met. It’s all a learning process. The study of uncovering these ‘rules’ or ‘a social norm’ intentionally, sounds fascinating!

I myself am only an amateur in the field of research. I don’t consider myself ready to critic or pull apart the research of others. They have been doing this for a lot longer than me! I can, however, see the benefit of many forms of research and also recognize that different approaches to research would be required for different endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment